Our A-level French revision programme is made up of 3 elements:
1. 15 hours of group lessons (9h30-13h daily) in a group of 12 students maximum.
2. 5 hours of one to one tuition
3. 5 hours of supervised self-study
This intensive A-level French revision course will give you the necessary tools to meet all the A-level objectives.
Objectives for this A-level French revision course are:
- to communicate confidently and clearly in French
- to give students insight into culture and contemporary society in France and in the countries where French is spoken
- to understand and respond to texts written in the target language, drawn from sources such as magazines, newspapers, reports, books and other forms of extended writing
- to manipulate the target language accurately in spoken and written forms, choosing appropriate examples of lexis and structures
- to give students the ability to select information and present it in French and to organise arguments and ideas logically in French.
Areas of Study
- Presentations – Students will practise giving a presentation, lasting about three minutes, on a specific topic taken from one of the topic areas listed in Section 4. The presentation will demonstrate the candidate’s knowledge of contemporary society or cultural heritage. Students will be expected to present relevant facts, express opinions and hypotheses, and put forward points for discussion. Every day students will prepare a topic in which they have a personal interest, aiming for a fluent, lively and interesting presentation.
- Topic conversation – The presentation will lead into a conversation about the chosen topic and students will be prepared to supply additional factual material and to express and defend a point of view.
- General conversation – Students will gain fluency in answering fairly straightforward questions about background and interests as well as more demanding conversations discussing more abstract and/or current issues within the general topic areas. The subjects covered in this section will depend on each student’s interests and the subject of the presentation: conversation elements will be lively and spontaneous.
- Reading and writing – Two passages in the target language are set which deal with related themes. Students will prepare and answer specific and general comprehension questions on the two passages, and respond to a task requiring a summary or comparison of issues raised. French will be used for all questions and answers. The passages will have been written during the last 20 years and will reflect the international scene. Students will also be prepared to write about 140 words, drawing information from both passages and adding their own opinions.
- Essay writing homework – Students will practise writing essays in French of 250–400 words on the following subjects: 1 Food and drink 2 The developing world 3 Travel and tourism 4 Generation gap 5 Equality of opportunity
- Texts – Students should bring their set texts according to their particular examination board. Students will be helped to answer questions in French from the different texts prepared and will be asked to comment on particular aspects of the passage and/or to indicate how the passage reflects the book as a whole and be expected to display detailed knowledge of the text and to show some awareness of how the author conveys the message of the work.
Costs and Dates
- Programmes start every Monday and students must be aged 16 or over.
- Per person: 1 week of 25 hours : 599 euros plus 60 euros registration fee
- Accommodation in a host family (half-board weekdays and full board weekends):199 euros per week plus 60 euros placement fee
- Matériel: 60 euros
- Students also have an orientation tour on their first Monday and access to all free after-class workshops representing an extra 3h 45m/5h* of French practice per week (*second and subsequent weeks).
High School in France
French in Normandy has an excellent High School (Lycee) partner here in Rouen and we can also provide placements for long and short stay. Minimum level B1. Download the high school placement brochure here.