Getting a French language diploma shows the level you have achieved in the language, and is essential to get a place on some higher education courses. It is also a real advantage in your career, especially if the diploma is internationally recognised.
There are several French exams that certify mastery of the French language.
The benefits of choosing DELF for your French certification
DELF is one of the most useful diplomas to have, particularly when applying for French jobs or French university degrees. Most undergraduate and graduate programmes require a B2 diploma, though some undergraduate programs accept B1. B1 and B2 are also the levels that most French workplaces require if your job is going to include a moderate amount of French. So here’s the DELF definition:
- The diplomas and exams set realistic objectives and correspond to real daily-life situations
- It is the best way to improve a candidates employment prospects, continue their studies and prepare themselves for travelling or living abroad.
- It is open to everyone, regardless of language skills, abilities, age or occupation
- It is recognised by the French Ministry of Education
- It is recognised in every French-speaking country worldwide
- It is seen as a prerequisite for studying at a French university or to take up a profession in a French speaking business world.
What is the DELF exam?
The DELF certificate is an official diploma from the French Ministry of Education. It certifies that foreigners have achieved one of four different levels of French, equivalent to A1-B2 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages. The 4 DELF diplomas are independent which means you can take level B1 even if you have not taken level A1 or A2.
A1/A2 corresponds to a basic level while B1/ B2 corresponds to an intermediate mastery of French language.
The French DELF exam is recognised worldwide and because the focus is on candidates’ communication skills in real-life situations, the DELF certificate has a lot of practical value.
Most French learners choose to take the DELF because it covers beginner and intermediate learners. When you take the DELF, you will have to choose from DELF A1, DELF A2, DELF B1 or DELF B2 tests, as each test is specially tailored to students of that level.
There is also a the DALF which is open to students who can show they have a level equivalent to at least 400 hours of French tuition. Holders of a DALF 2 have a general knowledge of French civilization and are able to analyse a text and present it both orally and in writing.
What is the meaning of DELF? It’s actually called Diplôme d’études en langue française.
Who is the DELF preparation course for?
DELF certification is perfect for anyone learning the French language aged 18 and older who wants to be able to officially prove the level they have reached.
DELF certification is important for people who want to work in the civil service in some French-speaking countries, and you will need level B2 to study at a French university.
DELF Pro is intended for the students or workers who want to integrate or to be promoted in France or in a French-speaking environment. Having DELF Pro is a big advantage for people willing to integrate or evolve in the French-speaking working system. DELF Pro is divided into 4 levels : A1, A2, B1 and B2.
- If you are a foreigner who wants to improve your skills in French for personal or professional purposes you can opt for the DELF certification and/or DALF certification.
- If you are French but come from a non-French speaking country and do not hold a secondary education diploma or higher, you can opt for the DELF certificate.
DELF Online Exam Preparation
French in Normandy also provides DELF exam preparation online for those who want or need to achieve their DELF certification but are unable to be present at the school. A dedicated DELF instructor will guide you through the preparation materials, meeting with you twice a week, providing you with assignments, DELF practice tests, corrected work and feedback. French in Normandy is proud to offer this program to help you achieve DELF exam success from wherever you are!
Alternatively you can accelerate your learning by taking a DELF Blended Course option, studying online with our instructors before your arrival at French in Normandy.
DELF Preparation Course Objectives
We want to help you to achieve your dreams and pass your exam at the level you need.
Like most language exams, the DELF exam measures the four language skills: listening, reading, writing, and speaking. The way in which the four skills are tested varies depending on which level of DELF exam you are taking.
You need at least 5 points in each of the parts to pass the DELF exam. The maximum possible score is 100 points, and you need at least 50 to earn your DELF certificate.
Our DELF & DALF Courses
3D - Dedicated DELF / DALF Preparation Course
Combine 15 hours of morning language classes (communicative language learning and practice) with 10 hours of intensive exam preparation of each competence, receiving marked and corrected work that will be carried out under exam-conditions. All students have access to a personal pedagogic report to follow their progression.
Demi DELF / DALF Preparation Course
10 hours of intensive exam preparation of each competence, receiving marked and corrected work that will be carried out under exam-conditions. All students have access to a personal pedagogic report to follow their progression.
DELF / DALF Combi Course
Combine 15 hours of morning language classes (communicative language learning and practice) with 5 hours one-to-one personalised DELF/DALF preparation.
DELF Online Course
This B2 DELF online course is offered either as an online only course or a blended course where you would study online before arriving at French in Normandy to take an in-class DELF preparation course. Either way a dedicated instructor will help you achieve your DELF certification!
Benefits of DELF Preparation Course at French in Normandy
Here, you can choose the length of your DELF preparation course to study all four language skills (reading, writing, listening and speaking). Our DELF preparation courses help you to progress quickly, as you are in groups of a maximum of 10 students and our friendly and experienced staff will ensure that you reach your goal as quickly as possible.
Our DELF preparation course follows the exam requirements and has been created to meet student demand. We offer general French in the mornings and exam specific sessions in the afternoons. We also ensure that the course includes practise sessions for all students with personalised correction and feedback.
Some of our French in Normandy teachers are qualified and experienced DELF examiners and this means you will be confident and well-prepared to take your DELF exam at the end of the course. You can also attend free daily workshops at the end of afternoon classes. Our basic DELF exam course is for students aged 16+ and offers 25 hours tuition a week. We also offer combination courses and half courses.
The DELF preparation course includes a final mock examination so that you know what to expect on the day and take the DELF examination fully prepared. You take the examination in Rouen.
Whatever your level of French language, it is better to follow a DELF exam preparation course than to attempt to study for the DELF exam on your own. This is because each DELF exam has special characteristics and methodologies that can be difficult to discover and understand without help and support.
To help you succeed, it is recommended that you take a DELF preparation course in France before taking the exams.
About DELF certification levels
- A1/ A2 corresponds to a basic level
- B1/ B2 corresponds to an intermediate level
- If your level in French is already equivalent to 400 hours of French tuition or more, you can sit an assessment test to have access to the DALF C1 / C2 programme without completing a DELF examination.
Here is more detail of what can be expected at each of the DELF French levels:
- DELF A1 is the first level. You are capable of simple interactions. You must be able to introduce yourself and ask and answer questions about personal details such as where you live, people you know, and things you have.
- DELF A2 is also a basic level. In addition to the skills of A1, you are able to perform simple tasks of daily life.
- DELF B1 is an intermediate level. You are an independent user who can manage familiar situations in work, school, leisure, etc. You can deal with most situations while travelling in a French-speaking country. You can describe experiences, events, dreams, hopes, and ambitions and briefly give reasons and explanations for opinions and plans.
- DELF B2 is a higher degree of independence. You can understand the main ideas of a complex text on concrete or abstract topics, including technical discussions in your field of specialisation. You can have a conversation with native speakers with some fluency and spontaneity. You can explain a viewpoint on a topical issue giving the advantages and disadvantages of various options. Obtaining a DELF B2 level certification serves as the French level test for admission to a French university.
Which DELF exam course option is best for you?
The DELF is made up of four diplomas, independent of each other (meaning that you could take level B1 even if you have not taken level A1 or A2).
You can also sit the examinations for a number of diplomas during the same examination session.
If you are not sure of your existing French level, you can take our test or contact our staff for advice.
Some individuals may prefer to take the TCF exam, Test de connaissance du français. This test is intended for anybody who wants to have their French language skills assessed for personal or professional reasons.
Why choose French in Normandy for your DELF exam preparation?
We are very proud that in 2017, 97 per cent of our students passed their exams and we have lots of expertise to help you.
This French exam assesses you in “real life” situations you might meet every day in France. The DELF certificates become harder with each level and the tasks vary, so it is really important to study with an experienced language school in France to help you prepare in the best way.
It’s also important to do your DELF preparation in France, because all the extra language practise you get living among native speakers will help you improve and is great preparation for the DELF exam.
When can I take the DELF exam?
Download the 2021 DELF brochure and exam calendar here.
Book now – or find out more
We are looking forward to welcoming to beautiful Rouen so that we can help you reach your goals and enjoy studying in France. Contact us to find out more about what we can offer, or book now.