What to bring
We hope that you will find this little guide useful and we wish you a very happy stay here with us in Rouen.
- Casual clothes for the lessons
- Something smart if you want to go out to a special restaurant or the disco
- 1 pair of trainers & 1 swimming costume
- 1 anorak or waterproof
- 1 warm pull-over
- Make sure that you have travel insurance
- 1 camera
- 1 travel adaptator for hairdryers/electric razors/laptops
- Credit card
- Some cash (Euros) plus traveller’s cheques
- A bag for your French books, notebooks, maps etc.
For students choosing a host family
Think about bringing a small typical gift from your country to give your host family and also bring some photos of your own family or town as this will give you something to start the conversation going!!!
We are here to give you the utmost help in improving your French but please remember that you are the star of the show and we will be giving you tasks to complete and asking you to work alongside us to reach your goal.
To get the most from your course:
- Make every effort to participate in the lessons
- Make the most of the activities and visits that FRENCH IN NORMANDY organises
- Make every effort to speak FRENCH at all times.
All the team at French in Normandy wish you “bon voyage et bon courage” and remember we are here to help you at all times. Enjoy your stay!!
- You will be staying as a part of a family to learn more about the French way of life but remember that you should respect your host family’s times for meals and their house!!
- If you have arranged to go out please remember to tell them and tell them if you are going to be late in!!
- Your host family will communicate with you in French at all times so that you make progress quickly. Don’t worry you will soon get the hang of it!!
- A single room Sheets, bed linen and towels
- A place with a desk and a chair where you can work and study quietly
- Breakfast and dinner in the week
- Full board at the weekends (or perhaps a picnic if you are going on our Saturday excursion).
- Use of a bathroom
- Light laundry
- A key
If you have any problems or questions relating to your host familly just tell to the bookings and host families manager here at FRENCH IN NORMANDY
If you are coming through Paris
Make sure that you have the FRENCH IN NORMANDY emergency number and the number of the taxi that is coming to fetch you at the airport. This information will have been sent to you or to your travel organisation ahead of time.
If you are going to take the metro in Paris check that you know which line you need to take before getting on a train, if you need the timetable of trains ROUEN-PARIS just let us know and we will send you more detailed information.
If you know which train you will be taking let us know and we will get your host family to meet you at the station.
If you are coming to Rouen by public transport :
If you are going directly to your host family make sure that you have all the papers with their correct address and telephone numbers.
If you are being met by your family at the station please let them and the French In Normandy team know the correct time of your train and please let us know if you miss it or if there are any problems en route.
Please let us know well in advance if you have any special dietary needs or if you are allergic to pets/animals etc and also if you are a smoker.
It is never very cold in Rouen even in the winter which is usually wet and sometimes windy so for winter months make sure that you have a warm waterproof. Summers are usaully pleasantly warm but one never knows so bring a coat just in case!
Transport, lunch and pocket money
Rouen has a tram system which we call «le metrobus », there is a stop just 8 minutes walk from the school which goes to the centre of town. 4 bus lines come past the RUE DU MAIL where French In Normandy is and many families are within walking distance.
On the first Monday of your stay, we will take you around the town so that you get your bearings. We will show you the principal sights as well as useful information such as where and how to buy a metro ticket or season card. A ticket costs 1,50 Euros. A pack of 10 costs 11,50 Euros. You can also buy season cards for longer stays.
Lunch is not included in the programme unless you come as part of a group. Students at FRENCH IN NORMANDY can buy lunch from the many bakers shops (sandwichs/quiches/rolls) just 4 minutes walk from the school. There are many cafés near the school where you can buy sandwiches or hot snacks/quick meals.You will also find McDonalds/Quick burgers and other fast food outlets 5 minutes away.
In the school we have a hot and cold drinks vending machines and a snacks (crisps and sweets) vending machine.
Students can eat in the common room.
We are happy to arrange :
- Student residence accommodation
- Hotel or gite accommodation
- Airport transfers and pick ups
- Bookings for theatres etc
- Bookings for travel, car hire etc
- Sporting activities